Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You may wanna leave this all behind...

Cakemasters in full effect



If I had to name five hip-hop albums that have a dedicated following in the proper circles, yet are underground enough to remain criminally slept-on, 2004’s Connected by The Foreign Exchange would be near the top of that short list.

That album was groundbreaking not only because of North Kakalak native Phonte’s very capable flow and gut-busting-yet-always-candid lyrics, but mainly because of Netherlands expatriate Nicolay’s groundbreaking, highly atmospheric, keyboard-driven production. It’s one of those rare contemporary rap albums that captivates both vocally and musically and pretty much holds onto you through every track. Everyone needs to hear it before they pound dirt.

Connected’s follow-up has been as about as long-awaited as the Second Coming of Jesucristo. But I’m not quite sure we were waiting for…this. After my first listen-through of Leave It All Behind, three questions came to mind: 1) Who, or what, deluded Phonte into thinking his singing could carry a whole damn album; 2) How can he not realize this will probably further drive a descent of quality that started when 9th Wonder left Little Brother; and 3) Do I still have that bottle of cyanide in my medicine cabinet?

Nicolay is still the truth, and he definitely comes correct with the album’s often melancholy production. Only problem is, I’d rather hear the album’s instrumentals more often than not. Phonte-as-singer and the Justus League’s crooning elite have always worked best in minimal doses, peppered across a track or three of any given project. But when I heard a few weeks ago that ‘Tay literally raps about three verses on this entire album, my stomach started to ache...on that "oh shit...here we go" tip.

If it were a double album with discs dedicated each to R&B and rapping, or even if they announced there would be a lyrics-driven album coming shortly after, I would be more forgiving of Leave It All Behind. But fact of the matter is, I’ll probably be listening to this joint about 90 percent for Nic’s production, and I’m not sure how far even that’ll get me.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel you as far as anticipation goes. Just from listening to the last one and Phonte's current guest appearances comparing to the number that is the U.S. financial deficit, I was disappointed to an extent. My expectations weren't realized but now that I have the CD I am going to take it for what it is and not what I wish it was.

And on that note I will keep it on the iPhone for listening pleasure, but I will probably listen to "Connected" more so than this one just because I need lyricism in my life.

I'm wondering if Phonte has come to a point in his artistic endeavors where he wanted to venture out and do something different like _______ (enter your favorite real hip hop artist's name here). Now that he has expressed another side of his person, he may get back to who we know him as best. Hell, even 3000 had some other ish on his mind but is back to killing it on the mic now.

B. Holcomb said...

I too am a little let down that Phonte doesn't rap. But this still maybe one of the better CDs to drop in 2008. This (IMO) is just overall good music!!! And to your point about the instrumentals...if you go outside the norm of the 21st century and purchase the double CD you'll rcv a disc of instramentals only

Keep doin' what you're doin fam

b